Skip to main content

Guest Post: Elaine Roberts - Dreams


Today I'm thrilled to welcome author Elaine Roberts to the blog to share her writing journey.

Do you have a dream? 

For many years mine was always about wanting to be a published writer, but I didn’t think things like that happened to people like me. Then when I was in my fifties my son found a writing course and then a class for me, and then it began to feel like it was possible. I was encouraged to write short stories, which I didn’t want to do, but it was a good lesson in writing to a word count. When a magazine wanted to pay me for a short story I couldn’t believe it, someone actually wanted to pay for something I had written. To say I was over the moon is a massive understatement; I danced, clapped and cheered around my front room.

I began writing contemporary stories, and I have several unpublished ones on my laptop but I decided to try writing a historical novel, and The Foyles Bookshop Girls series was born.

Now I’m proud to say my fifth World War One novel, Big Dreams for the West End Girls, was published on the 3rd June 2021. It’s about three friends who grew up with their own dreams they wanted to achieve. This second of the three book series is about Joyce’s childhood aspirations. She has to make difficult decisions about what’s really important to her as unexpected things are thrown her way. She watches her dream move further and further out of reach. There’s many twists and turns in this series, which I hope readers enjoy.

I think my writing grows with every book I write. I have many things happening in this series so my characters are challenged. This then begs the question what would you be prepared to give up for your dream because there’s always a cost, it maybe hidden but it’s there. Would you put it on hold, or would you be totally focused on your end goal? 

Ambition is important; it gets us through the drudgery of our day-to-day lives, and it’s how great things are accomplished. It gives us hope that if we achieve things will get better. How far will you go to chase a dream? What will you give up to fulfill it? What is a step too far? Will the reality of your dream be what you expected? For me it’s about having a balance in my life, my family and people will always come first. That’s not because my dream doesn’t matter, but if you have no-one to share it with then what’s the point.

Some of the most successful people in the world have regretted putting their personal life on hold to achieve great success. 

Book blurb:

Nothing will stop her – not even the war!

1914. Working in a bustling café on London's Shaftesbury Avenue, Joyce Taylor dreams of opening her own restaurant. But when the man she loves enlists in the war, and a surprise request comes through from her dying grandmother, Joyce's life gets turned upside down.

Struggling to keep the café afloat with her new-found responsibilities, it's not long before Joyce starts to feel the pressure might be all too much. Luckily, her supportive friends Annie and Rose are on hand to help. Despite all the madness, can Joyce find a way to make her dreams come true? And will her love story have a happy ending?

Author Bio:

Elaine Roberts had a dream to write for a living. She completed her first novel in her twenties and received her first very nice rejection. Life then got in the way until circumstances made her re-evaluate her life, and she picked up her dream again in 2010. She joined a creative writing class, The Write Place, in 2012 and shortly afterwards had her first short story published. She was thrilled when many more followed and started to believe in herself. Her first published novel was The Foyles Bookshop Girls, which became a series.

As a member of the Romantic Novelists’ Association and The Society of Women Writers & Journalists, Elaine attends many conferences, workshops, seminars and wonderful parties. Meeting other writers gives her encouragement, finding most face similar problems. 

Elaine and her late husband, Dave, have five children who have flown the nest. Home is in Dartford, Kent and is always busy with their children, grandchildren, grand dogs and cats visiting. Without her wonderful family and supportive friends, she knows the dream would never have been realised. 

Links:

Website http://www.elaineroberts.co.uk
Blog: Write Minds

Twitter: @RobertsElaine11

Facebook Author Page: Elaine Roberts Facebook Author Page

Instagram: @RobertsElaine11

Amazon Link: Big Dreams for the West End Girls


Comments