Skip to main content

Is It Just Me? De-cluttering The Car For Its Service

So my little car went off for its annual visit to the garage yesterday.  Thankfully it came back without any unexpected additional costs, the ones I already knew about where quite high enough already .

As part of the ritual for its annual service my car and I always embark on a major de-cluttering event the night before.  So there I was on Sunday night unearthing countless pairs of shoes from under the seats, retrieving missing sunglasses, note books and pens from each little hidey hole along with two window demisting cloths, and three scrappers. 

Yep I said three.  Nope I have no idea why I need three, or to be quite honest how they got there.  I know this is England and scrapping the ice from the windows first thing in the morning is a winter tradition, but seriously just how much ice do I think we're going to have this year? 

I collected everything up, along with the emergency bag I carry in the boot of my car, and plonked in the hallway. Well everything apart from the shoes, they were put back on the shoe rack which had strangely enough been looking rather depleted recently.

Why do I go through this rigmarole every year?  Partly because I am the neatest, most organized person I know, so it's actually a little embarrassing that my car seems to become a dumping ground for stray items.  Partly because I figure the mechanics have enough work to do without trying to maneuver around all the footwear hidden in my car.  But also because it's lovely to see my little car all neat and tidy again.

My somewhat lighter car went off to the garage completely empty, or at least I thought it had.  It wasn't until I got it back last night that I realized I'd forgotten to remove one last item....  The CD that I'd left in the player.  Now this wouldn't normally be an issue, it's just a CD after all.  Except this wasn't just any old CD, this was our CD.  The one that has the demo of the song a friend from the writing course and I collaborated on.  Oops.

So what though right?  It doesn't matter if someone else hears it does it?  Well no actually it doesn't.  In fact it would be quite a good thing for it to get out there and be heard.  However when the guy handed over my keys last night and asked if I had any questions, instead of shaking my head and thanking him for returning my little car, I could have quizzed him on what he thought of the song.  I guess I missed an opportunity there.  Nevertheless, I'm going view it as a good sign that the volume control had been turned right up, so that when I started the ignition the final few bars of our song came blaring out the speakers.

The emergency bag has now found its way back into the boot, the demisting cloths are back in the side of the drivers door and the scrappers are hidden under the seat.  I know I don't need three, but what am I supposed to do with the spares?  It seems a shame to throw them out.  I'm a firm believer in holding on to things that maybe useful, albeit it might take a while.  What's the lifespan of a scrapper anyway?

Comments