Skip to main content

That Moment When...

Do you ever have one of those moments when realisation strikes and you cringe and groan as you wish you could hit undo and avoid the stupid thing you just did?  Please tell me it's not just me.

Well I had one of those moments today.  Someone greeted me in the most friendly upbeat manner, asking me how I was and how life in the thrilling world of finance was going.  I smiled back, answered her questions, and asked her how she was.  All perfectly fine right?  There's just one catch.  I had absolutely no idea who she was.

I'm pretty sure she wasn't just some random stranger toying with my brain.  She knew my name and what department I worked in.  So she must know me.  But why don't I know her?

I've never been one of those people that's bad with names but remembers faces.  I can't remember either.  However, I do have that 'I know I know you' feeling when I see them.  I usually don't have a clue why I know them, but at least they are vaguely familiar.  Today though, not even a teeny tiny flicker of recognition existed.

In the end I just had to admit, with profound apologies, that I couldn't remember her name.

She laughed it off graciously, while I felt completely embarrassed and forgetful.

The trouble is, even though I now know her name I still have no idea who she is or how she knows me.  Not that I'm about to admit that though.

Comments