Skip to main content

A Look Back At 2015

2015 has been a mix of writing highs and personal lows.

At a time of great stress and worry I found that writing was my salvation.  It was a distraction from things that I had no control over, but plenty of worry about.  It gave me a reason to get up and do something when I could easily have sat in a dark corner and wept. But most of all it led me to discover a world full of like-minded enthusiastic people who have been a source of inspiration and hope.

Back in January I joined the RNA New Writers Scheme. Although I wasn’t able to attend any of the events this year due to an illness in the family, being a member of this incredible association has been absolutely fantastic.  The NWS review of my romantic crime novel was invaluable and I now have a clear plan in mind for what I need to work on.  Through the RNA I have met so many wonderfully helpful, supportive and friendly people and I love the comradery between the members. The weekly #TuesNews on twitter is a great way to stay up to date with what’s happening and to show support for those who have been so encouraging.

Building on the knowledge that I’ve gained since starting a creative writing course in October 2014 I have spent this year rewriting my historical romance novel. Thanks to the encouragement and support of some of the RNA members, I’ve now joined the Historical Novel Society as well and am looking forward to meeting everyone at the conference next year.

This year I launched my guest post section on my blog where I welcome writers to chat about something that matters to them.  A huge thank you to Sharon at Kishboo Magazine for being my very first guest blogger and I’m looking forward to welcoming her back for another guest post on 28th December.  It seemed fitting that she should be back as my final guest for 2015.  Thanks also to my other fantastic guests this year; Rhoda Baxter, Heidi Swain, Louise Marley, Emma Davies, Wendy Clarke, Holly Martin and Sam Tonge.  I’ve loved reading your posts and appreciate all your support.  I’m looking forward to welcoming yet more guests to my blog in 2016. If you’d like to be part of it do contact me @Elaina_James

Whilst I was hosting my guest blog I also got to be a guest myself over on Heidi Swain’s blog.  Thank you Heidi for inviting me to be part of your  #MyWritingLife series. I loved reading about everyone’s journey.

2015 has been a year of firsts for me.  I had my first short story; ‘Cinderella Shoes’ published in print in the Autumn Scribble Magazine and my first article; ‘If You Don’t Try’ and poem; ‘A Writer’s World’ published in Kishboo.  I also collaborated with a musician who brought life to some of my lyrics.  

And if all of this wasn’t exciting enough, in 2016 you’ll find me over on Mslexia as a resident guest blogger from February to April chatting about writing from the perspective of a songwriter with stage fright.  I do hope you’ll stop by and say Hi.

For now though I wish you all a great Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Comments

  1. Sounds like a great year. Let's hope 2016 is even better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rhoda, I'm keeping my fingers crossed :) Hope you have a great year too!

      Delete

Post a Comment