Skip to main content

Songwriting News: The 2015 UK Songwriting Contest Results


The 2015 UK Songwriting Contest results are out!

I’m delighted to have lyrics in the semi-finals again this year with ‘Back to Before’. Sadly they didn’t reach the finals, but there’s always next year…


You can listen to the winners from this year’s contest online at: http://www.songwritingcontest.co.uk/2015-results.html

The Lyrics Only Winner was Debra Gussin with her powerful and emotional lyrics ‘Best Actor’. You can read her winning words here:

My favourite song in the contest this year is the Country Winner; ‘A Moment Doesn’t Matter’ by Jayne Sachs, Victoria Banks and Brett Mandel.  It’s a beautiful song, fantastic moving lyrics and a great sound. I’d love to hear more by these guys!

I also loved ‘My Favourite Time Of Year’ by Leigh Haggerwood, which won the Music Video category. The work that must have gone in to producing this video is incredible.

Congratulations to all this year’s winners, finalists and semi-finalists. I’m looking forward to next year’s contest already.

And just in case you were wondering about my own entry, I’ll leave you with the lyrics to ‘Back to Before’. I’d love to know what you think.


Back to Before
Verse 1
You thought you could break me and make me fall,
But I will rise back up and withstand it all.
You can knock me down but you can’t knock me out,
I’ll survive without you I have no doubt.

Chorus
I ain’t going down with your ship,
You’re not gonna set my dreams adrift.
I will find my own way to shore.
You’re like an anchor weighing me down,
But you’re not gonna make me drown.
Now there’s no going back to before.

Verse 2
You’re battling demons no one can see,
But you didn’t need to turn your war on me.
I was your ally I was your only friend,
I would have stayed with you until the end.

Chorus
I ain’t going down with your ship,
You’re not gonna set my dreams adrift.
I will find my own way to shore.
You’re like an anchor weighing me down,
But you’re not gonna make me drown.
Now there’s no going back to before.

Middle 8
From time to time you throw me hope like an old life ring,
But empty promises just don’t mean anything.
I am finally done weathering your storm,
Your apologies are hollow and your excuses worn.

Chorus
I ain’t going down with your ship,
You’re not gonna set my dreams adrift.
I will find my own way to shore.
You’re like an anchor weighing me down,
But you’re not gonna make me drown.
Now there’s no going back to before.


No there’s no going back to before.

Comments